WHAT IS INTERNET OF THINGS?
The Internet of Things (IoT) is the interconnection of “things” around us. When I say things, it can be any entity from machines, medical equipment, or cars to objects such as sensors, actuators, embedded devices and smart appliances. What does the internet have to do with these items? The answer is digital interaction between these things to enable communication.
WHY MUST ONE ADOPT OR FIND RELEVANCE FOR IoT IN THEIR BUSINESS?
The challenge here was to integrate different devices together, to rule out the traditional work approach and custom solutions for each task, and to introduce a centralized work model. For example, features on web applications and physical devices may require different plug-ins and management packages to be installed and the management and integration of these was a challenge.
The benefits of IoT extends from individuals to business and society on a day-to-day basis.
Gartner says the Internet of Things Installed base will grow to 26 Billion units by 2020. Component costs will drop drastically and connectivity will have all the limelight. Below you have the graphic representation which highlights IoT’s value add and the numbers are astonishing.
WHAT DOES AMAZON HAVE TO OFFER IN THE FIELD OF IoT?
AWS allows devices to be easily connected both to the cloud and to a remote source. Even when the devices are offline, the connection, communication and exchange of messages through MQTT, HTTP or Web Socket protocols, processing of the data from different connected devices and application interaction with connected devices still occurs.
Apart from these benefits, Amazon also addresses difficult areas such as authenticating connections between sensors, devices and applications, processing and acting upon device data, and read and set device state at any time.
AWS S3, DynamoDB, Lambda, Kinesis, SNS and SQS already exist in their reputed forms and can be easily used to build more powerful IoT applications.
Per Forbes, businesses can reap many benefits. Here’s how:
- Access to the data: With the devices connected and managed centrally, data availability will be higher.
- Enables remote work: With devices controlled in the same network, employees will be more connected than ever before.
- Accessibility and speed: With the suppliers having similar devices at their production site, customers can be served faster.
- Efficiency and productivity: IoT developments will allow work to be completed with great precision which leads to the need for fewer staff members.
- Business should adapt to the cost-effective, ubiquitous development of IoT solutions to achieve greater productivity.